TURKEY HIGHER EDUCATION
TURKISH EDUCATION SYSTEM
- Higher education in Turkey consists of universities with associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs, faculties, institution, conservatories and vocational schools.
- In total, 103 of 176 universities are state universities, the rest of them (73) are private ones. According to the data of recent years, the number of university students with the number of the students in formal education and distance education is about 3,5 million.
Admission Requirements For Undergradute Programs
- The applicants who want to study in any undergraduate programs should make an application directly to the university. Each university accepts international students on the basis of their own requirements that are published on their official websites.
Admission Requirements For Graduate Programs
- Graduate programs in Turkey contain master, PhD and specialization in medicine programs. which are carried out via institutions.
The Documents Required From the Applicants
- Each university and program may have different admission criteria. Therefore, those who wants to have graduate education has to apply directly to the universities.
- Diploma and course contents of the previously completed degrees, letter of reference and statement of purpose are required in the application procedures of the graduate programs.
- Students who graduated in Turkey must submit Graduate Entrance Exam’s (ALES) result in addition to the given documents. English-medium universities can ask for additional exam results such as TOEFL, GRE or GMAT which have international validity.
- There are two types of master degrees in Turkey: with thesis and non-thesis. Whereas master’s programs with thesis consist of at least seven courses, one seminar and a thesis study. Non-thesis master programs contain at least ten courses and a semester project. The required period to complete the master degree is 2 years.
- Doctorate programs have at least seven courses, proficiency exam and a thesis. The period to complete the courses are four semesters at most and the period to finish the doctorate program is eight semesters.
- To be able to apply for doctorate programs, it is an obligation to have a master’s degree. The applicants can apply with their undergraduate diploma to the joint doctorate programs which consists of both master and doctorate education.
Specialization in Medicine Programs
- Specialization in medicine programs are equivalent to doctorate programs and it is carried out by the faculty of the medicine of universities and by the research hospitals which are subject to the ministry of health. The students, who want to have an education in medicine and dentistry, must succeed in DUS or TUS exams.
- In Turkey universities run on a two semester arrangements, known as fall and spring semesters. Besides, some universities have summer school programs.
Academic Examination Process
- Academic performances at the universities are determined on success and attendance. Universities test students’ academic success with different examinations such as two midterm and one final or one midterm and one final.
- Some universities implement different different systems such as make-up exams or summer schools. In addition to exams, various homeworks and reports are efficient in taking grades. Passmarks in the universities are usually 60/100 (2.00/4.00) (These grades may differ among universities).
Language of Instruction
- The applicants must prove their efficiency in the universities’ course language which is usually in Turkish (Also in English, French and German). The students, who are accepted to university but not able to get the efficiency in the required language, are given language course for a year. Also, Turkish lessons are given to international students.
WHY TO HAVE HIGHER EDUCATION IN TURKEY?
- Turkey, which has lands both in Asia and Europe, has diverse cultures and experiences. Turkey’s cultural richness and diversity was shaped by its deep historical roots, cultures and beliefs in Middle East, Anatolia and Balkans.
- Throughout the history, Anatolia has been the center of several civilizations since ancient times. Turkey has its own unique social and cultural characteristics such as cuisine, music, arts, literature and architecture.
- Modern Turkey has a robust economy, a dynamic open society and an advanced democracy. Within the last decade, Türkiye has achieved remarkable economic growth and substantial progress in political and social fields. Türkiye is one of the fastest growing economies the World and now the 6th largest economy in the Europe and 16th largest economy in world.
- Furthermore, Turkey seeks also more active role in regional and global developments while staying fully committed the EU full membership process. As a leading democracy in Middle East and Europe, Türkiye represents and promotes universal values, human rights, dialogue, cooperation and parthnership in the region, as a fundamental principle of Turkish Foreign Policy of “Peace At Home and Peace in The World.”
- Turkey opens the doors of its universities for international students from all around the world with “Türkiye Scholarships”. Scholarship with vast opportunities and education in qualified Turkish universities will help you to gain new perspectives, and abilities making you be one step ahead of others in your career.
- Türkiye Scholarship is a non-refundable. Türkiye Scholarship is provided for only international students who will study in higher education level. The aim of Türkiye Scholarships is to improve mutual understanding with other countries and to contribute richness of global information with people oriented approach.
WHAT IS TÜRKİYE SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAM?
Türkiye Scholarships is a government funded program for international students. It is designed for international students who wish to study at universities in Turkey. The program is aimed at enhancing Turkey’s relations with other countries in the fields of higher education and culture.
The Presidency for Turks Abroad and Related Communities is the responsible body for the Türkiye Scholarships. Being a member of the International Students Evaluation Board, the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs also assumes tasks and responsibilities in the Türkiye Scholarships process.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE TÜRKİYE SCHOLARSHIPS
Candidates who have graduated or are likely to graduate from an educational institution equivalent to that of Türkiye’s in the present academic (i.e. bachelor’s degree for master’s level) can apply to Türkiye Scholarships.
There is also age condition for candidates required to meet.
• For applicants applying to Undergraduate Degree: Those who were born no earlier than 01.01.1996,
• For applicants applying to Master’s Degree: Those who were born no earlier than 01.01.1987,
• For applicants applying to Ph.D Degree: Those who were born no earlier than 01.01.1982,
• For applicants applying to Research Program: Those who were born no earlier than 01.01.1972,
• Applicants shouldn’t have any health problems barrier to education.
POINTS TO BE CONSIDERED:
. It is expected to have certain academic score from candidates for each program and scholarship level. There are specific minimum score of the program that you are applying at “assessment and selection” section.
. Students who are currently studying in Türkiye are not allowed to apply to the level that they are already studying.
. Turkish citizens and persons who lost Turkish citizenship cannot apply for this scholarship program.
. Türkiye scholarships are open for all country citizens who meet these conditions.
. Short-term scholarship programs may have additional application requirements. Application can only be made on-line via www.turkiyeburslari.gov.tr website.
OPPORTUNITIES PROVIDED WITH TÜRKİYE SCHOLARSHIPS
The monthly allowance allocated according to level of study is as follows:
• Undergraduate Students; 700 Turkish Lira
• Master’s Students; 950 Turkish Lira
• Ph.D. Students; 1,400 Turkish Lira
• Research Scholarships; 3,000 Turkish Lira
Türkiye Scholarships students can stay in public university dormitories without paying any fees. Students who do not wish to stay in these dormitories can opt for other housing options on their own expenses.
III. Tuition and Fees
Türkiye Scholarships students do not pay any tuition or university fees.
IV. Health Expenses
Türkiye Scholarships students’ health expenses are covered by public health insurance.
V. Turkish Language Course
Türkiye Scholarships Students are subject to a Turkish language course for one year if they do not have proof of Turkish Language proficiency. Turkiye Scholarships students who will study a program in other languages instead of Turkish are also required to take the Turkish Language Course.
VI. Travel Expenses (One-off Flight Ticket)
Turkish Scholarship students are provided with a once time ticket for their first arrival in Turkey and for their departure after completing their study. If the student purchases the ticket, the amount will be reimbursed later on.
LEARNING TURKISH LANGUAGE
- Turkish is a modern language that is spoken by almost 100 million people around the world. In fact, Turkish language is one of the widely spoken languages in the world after Chinese, Arabic, Hindu, English, Spanish, Russian, French and Portuguese.
- The students who are eligible for the Turkiye Scholarships and who also do not speak Turkish are granted free Turkish language training for one year. For all the students who do not speak Turkish, the language training will be a prerequisite for their university program they are placed with.
- Turkish Language Courses will take place in the cities in which Turkish Education Centers (TÖMER) are located. The language program is for 8 months and ends in June.
- Students are expected to receive a C1 level Turkish competency from Turkish Sufficiency Test at the end of the course. Those students who have successfully taken the exam will continue their education at the university they registered. Students who fail the required Turkish score will have additional time until September to retake the exam and fulfill the language criteria.
- After all, if a student cannot fulfill the expected language score by September, his/her scholarship will go into abeyance for a year during which his/her language course and other expenses will have to be paid by the student. His/her scholarship will be reinstated only if the student receives a C1 level Turkish Language Certificate during that year.
- If the student fails to have the C1 Level Turkish Language Certificate in his/her second year, his/her scholarship and university registration will be cancelled altogether.
- Turkish Language Certificate Levels;
Beginner (A1 and A2)
Intermediate (B1 and B2)
Advanced (C1 and C2)
. There are many choices in terms of accomodation possibilities in Turkey. The dormitories are mostly state-run (Yurt-Kur) but there are also private dormitories and some non-profit foundations’ dorms. In addition to these, some universities have their own residences.
. There are other choices ranging from luxurious residents to moderate and smaller apartments. The standards of the state-run dormitories, which serves through the year including semesters and summer holiday, have risen notably in recent years.
. One other choice is to rent a house. To do this, the shortest way is to do some research on internet or knock the door of real estate agency.
. It is possible to find several alternatives about house decorations. It is also possible to visit some stores and markets, where it might be found second-hand furniture, also new ones.
- Ankara Büyükelçiliği
- İstanbul Başkonsolosluğu
- Erzurum Başkonsolosluğu
- Trabzon Başkonsolosluğu
- Oturum ve Çalışma İzni
- Türkiye Vizesi
- Türkiye Oturum İzni
- TURKEY RESIDENCE PERMIT
- İran Cenaze Nakil İşlemleri
- نحوه انتقال جنازه شهروندان ایرانی
- TURKEY WORK PERMIT
- TURKEY INVESTMENT
- TURKEY PROPERTY
- TURKEY CITIZENSHIP
- TURKEY HIGHER EDUCATION